In this tutorial, we will show you an example of how easily this can be done on Ampere® Altra® Multi Core Server Processors and spotlight the key benefits of the world’s first cloud native processors (CNPs).
OpenStack Kolla is a sub project of the larger OpenStack project. It provides a way to build all the OpenStack services as containers. As those who have used OpenStack know, building OpenStack from source can be necessary at times to be able to take advantage of a patch fix prior to an official release.
In this post, we will build upon previous work to quickly build OpenStack Kolla dynamically using Ampere Altra processors within Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) on Ampere A1 shapes.
To automate, we will use the DevOps tool Terraform to fork and extend that module to create an on-demand build infrastructure for OpenStack Kolla containers.
Before you start:
- Install Terraform on your system
- Sign up to Oracle OCI “Always Free” Account and find your credentials for API use
Forking the oci-ampere-a1 terraform moduleThe oci-ampere-a1 terraform module code supplies the minimal amount of information to quickly have working Ampere A1 shapes on OCI “Always Free”. It has been forked and functionality added to allow to quickly build OpenStack Kolla with a series of parameters that can be passed in. To keep things simple from an OCI perspective, the root compartment will be used (compartment id and tenancy id are the same) when launching any shapes. Some of the tasks performed by this terraform code are:
- Operating system image id discovery in the user region.
- Dynamically creating SSH keys to use when logging into the shape.
- Dynamically getting region, availability zone and image id.
- Creating necessary core networking configurations for the tenancy
- Rendering dynamic values into metadata, scripts to pass into the Ampere A1 shape.
- Rendering dynamic values into files to write to the management station running terraform.
- Launch on Ampere A1 shapes with metadata and SSH keys.
- After metadata run is complete pass in rendered scripts then execute scripts on remote host.
- Output IP information to connect to the shape.